Biolet Basic


Added to our product line in 1999, the BioLet Basic is designed as the answer to your sanitation needs, where water and electricity are not reliable resources or not available.  While we have added automatic mixing to some models, the BioLet Basic has a conveniently located handle that is turned after each use. This easy maintenance insures accurate mixing of the compost and accelerates the microbes' activity. Since the Basic has no electrical components it lacks the ability to evaporate most of the liquids therefore, there is a drain tube required to discharge the liquids to a holding tank or leech bed. The BioLet Basic is the perfect solution for those cabins and cottages "out of the way" or that outbuilding without electrical service. As is true of all BioLet models, the Basic is equipped with a compost cover that hides the material from view and opens automatically when sitting - another feature engineered exclusively by BioLet and with a seat height of only 19.5", the BioLet Basic is very comfortable to use and it has no awkward footstool to hamper children and the elderly. Install a BioLet Basic as a secondary system or as a permanent solution, anywhere!

BioLet Basic is an on-site, self contained, biological toilet, where human waste (feces, urine and toilet paper) are collected, excess liquid drained and solid material is decomposed to a soil-like, hygienically safe product (humus) without producing an unpleasant odor.

BioLet Basic needs no water, nor chemicals, and has little discharge from the unit necessitating a connection to a sewer or septic tank. As with all BioLet's models, the BioLet Basic utilizes the natural processes of evaporation and aerobic decomposition and is designed to maintain a warm and humid environment inside the unit, encouraging biological degradation of the waste through the scavenging action of the aerobes.

Within a relatively short period of time, human waste and toilet paper are efficiently transformed into a small amount of fertile compost. The BioLet Basic reduces the volume of the waste entering the toilet by approximately 90%, leaving only 10% of an end-product, which can be recycled back to nature in a safe way, and without polluting the environment.

AIR FLOW   Air flow through typical BioLet Toilet

There is a constant flow of air in through the seats of our units and out through the vent pipe. This air flow serves 3 purposes:

Recirculate air through the system to provide additional oxygen to the aerobic bacteria to accelerate the decomposition process.
Assist in the evaporation of the excess liquids and expel them to the atmosphere through the vent pipe.
Draw odors from the unit and expel them to the atmosphere.


A. Ventilation outlet
B. Fan motor/fan blade
C. High temperature limit switch
D. Heating element
1. Phillips screws (top/lower unit)
2. Warm air channels
3. Compost chamber
4. Grate
5. Humus tray
6. Adjustable thermostat
7. Liquid level switch
8. Microswitch9. Mixer motor assembly
10. Shear Pin
11. Compost cover
12. Air return channel
13. Mixer arm
       a. leveling
       b. raking
       c. stationary
14. Front cover for humus tray
15. Fluid level indicator (emptying)
16. Fluid level indicator (humus tray)
17. Bottom heating element
18. Terminal block


The BioLet XL is easy to install!

Fasten the BioLet XL to the wall.

Make a hole in the ceiling and roof for the ventilation pipe.

Push the outer pipe into the roof flashing and seal it carefully.

Empty the bag of compost starter into the BioLet.

Plug into grounded outlet.

The BioLet XL is ready to be used.





  • 2 people - full-time use
  • 3 people part-time use

Weight Limit: 350 lb

Required Room Temperature: 64F during periods while the toilet is in use.

Measurements and Weight:


Shipping Installed
Depth 30" 29"
Width 22.25" 21.5"
Height 27.25" 26"
Seat Height 19.5" 19.5"
Additional depth to remove tray --- 22"
Weight including vent kit and initial starter mulch 72 lb 61 lb

Material: Completely sealed casing of ABS - plastic. Mixing arms and other important metal components of stainless steel.

Warranty: Life-time limited warranty on body, Three year limited warranty on remaining parts.

BioLet Box Includes:
1 - Composting toilet
2 - Wall brackets
4 - Wood Screws
1 - Starter mulch
1 - Winterizing plug
1 - Emptying frame
1 - Manual mixing rake
5 - 2' sections 54mm white vent, belled 1 end
1 - 2' section 54mm white vent pipe, no bell
1 - 2' section 108mm black vent pipe, belled 1 end
1 - 2' section 108mm black vent pipe, no bell
4' - Styrofoam insulation
1 - 108mm X 54mm reducing coupling
1 - Roof flashing
1 - 5' drain tube
1 - Instruction video
2 Spare shear pins


Toilets (click below)

Residential Cabin
4 people 6 people
3 people 4 people
3 people 4 people
2 people 3 people
4 - 6 people 4 - 6 people